[c-nsp] FIB scale on ASR9001

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Nov 10 01:48:12 EST 2021

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 19:13, Gert Doering <gert at greenie.muc.de> wrote:

> Cisco is a textbook example how to drive away a truly loyal user base,
> and then blaim it on stock market analysts ("they said that any company
> without a recurring revenue software model will be dead soon").

Ranting and raving follows.

All (smart) executives claim the upside is because of their leadership
and downside is because of the market. While no data supports that
replacing executive A with executive B improved or reduced company
performance, that is, we don't know what qualities make companies fail
or succeed.

But I admire the beauty of something like this: https://exainfra.net/about-us/
'Under Xs’ leadership, GTT bought over 40 companies and grew annual
revenues from $65 million to over $1.6 billion during his tenure'

You have <150 words to highlight your most important achievements in
your career. And you choose to focus on the time when not only
shareholders but many classes of debt holders got completely wiped due
to over-extending.

In most other cases you just can't do that. Crane operator can't brag
about that one time when his mistake caused the building to collapse,
in fact he'll struggle to get hired by anyone aware of it. But
management has no metrics, so you are as competent and valuable as you
confidently say you are (which is why being tall helps being a
successful manager, as it's a metric we are able to compare easily and
being tall means to us being more competent).

Having said that, 5y performance:
SP500: 110%
CSCO: 90%
NOK: 20%
JNPR: 10%
PANW: 300%
ANET: 450%

So Cisco is losing to the wide market only very little, and is
outperforming other SP vendors (Huawei excluded). So the market
doesn't entirely agree with your assertion of user base attrition.

--
  ++ytti