[c-nsp] FIB scale on ASR9001

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Nov 11 03:14:16 EST 2021

On 11/11/21 09:51, Gert Doering wrote:

> I seem to remember it's related to RPKI ROV (every time the RPKI server
> sends new data the BGP implementation asks for a refresh to re-validate
> the incoming feed).
>
> Or at least there is something in the back of my head that says "I have
> heard someone talk about this unintended side-effect of RPKI ROV, together
> with a BGP setup without 'soft in always'".
>
> Might there be a correlation in your environment?

Yes, this makes sense.

We, generally, did not run "soft-reconfiguration inbound" since the IOS
days, to save on RAM. Also, Route Refresh was the gold standard. I'm not
sure the RAM issue is a big deal anymore, considering how large it is in
routers these days...

But I can see how this creates an undesired side effect with ROV, which
then puts pressure on Route Refresh.

I have to say, we did not consider it; which hardly surprises me since
TAC didn't either.

I have read a lot of Cisco documentation on configuring ROV on IOS XE
and IOS XR, and unless something has been recently updated, this is not
one of the explicit recommendations in that documentation. I can see how
easy it is to overlook (or if you do have 'soft-reconfiguration inbound'
configured, how that significance can also be overlooked).

All that notwithstanding, the move to 100Gbps peering/transit + faster
CPU's on the MX204 is still a worthy reason to move away from the
ASR9001, for us anyway :-).

Mark.