[c-nsp] ASR1001-X Password Recovery Failure

Tim Densmore tdensmore at tarpit.cybermesa.com
Sat Oct 16 22:12:49 EDT 2021

Hi Folks,

I recently upgraded and erased the startup config on a couple of
asr1001-x routers that are being repurposed.  Standard procedure, though
this is the first time I have used the 1001-x specifically.
Upon reboot I was expecting a "Router>" prompt, but instead I'm
presented with a "Username:" prompt that does not allow me to log in
with any of the local users or passwords that would have been in the
config on this router.
So, I boot into rommon, run "confreg 0x2142" and reboot the router. Upon
reboot, the same "Username:" prompt shows up.  I figure my settings in
rommon didn't stick so I check them and verify that confreg really is
set to 0x2142.
This exact same issue is present on two different asr1001-x routers
which leads me to believe that there must be something in the 1001-x
docs about password recovery that I'm missing.

Has anyone ever seen this, and if so could you point me to documentation
that shows how to fix it?  I have never seen anything like it and I'd
rather not have to go through TAC if this is simple to fix.

Thanks!