[c-nsp] LSR platforms

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 2 10:01:55 EST 2022

On 12/10/20 20:02, James Mitchell wrote:

> What hardware platforms are operators running as P routers for smaller MPLS
> networks? I’m not interested in large CRS type platforms, but simply an LSR
> thats main function is MPLS switching at 10/40/100G speeds. Preferably
> Cisco. Anyone have a recommendation based on experience?

Old thread, but somehow, missed it.

We dumped our CRS-X's (8-slot) for the Juniper PTX1000 (2U box).

We realized that we didn't really need all of those fan trays, power
supplies, control planes, fabrics, line cards, forwarding cards, and
half a rack, just to push a serious amount of traffic.

It helps that one doesn't also need a chassis, nowadays, to carry a good
number of 100Gbps ports.

Sure, Cisco probably has something of similar size and stature as the
PTX1000, but given their new path, we couldn't be asked.

That said, as others also did, there are plenty of boxes carrying
Broadcom's J2 that will do the job, especially if you relegate it to
just a P function, and don't try to get funky with edge features.

Mark.