[c-nsp] LSR platforms

Phil Bedard philxor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 11:14:52 EST 2022

Full disclosure I work for Cisco.

There are a ton of Broadcom based boxes deployed in all roles these days.  Certainly quite a few in P/LSR roles.

The 55A1-24H, 36H are 100G dense J+ based platforms.  There are 10G dense platforms based on the same chips (55A1-48Q).   There are also some newer J2 platforms that work really well as LSRs also if you are looking at a fixed platform.

8000 is a good fit if you want more capacity and a migration path to more 400G.   The main difference between the 10001-36MR and the 8201-FH (32x400G) is the 10001 uses several NPUs to reach 9.6TB, the 8201-FH (32x400G) uses a single 12.8Tbps NPU.    The power consumption of it is about 25% of the 10001.

Thanks,
Phil