[c-nsp] ASR920 randomly loosing layer-2 on a port

Brian Turnbow b.turnbow at twt.it
Mon Jul 11 12:47:57 EDT 2022

> On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 03:59:02PM +0000, Brian Turnbow wrote:
> > Yep, sounds like the infamous uptime over 2 years "feature" from 3.16
> (something)..
> > Reboot and upgrade was the only way we fixed it....
>
> Uh.  Could you elaborate on what that "feature" is, exactly?

It was the bug where after after two years of uptime
If an interface went down it would stick as up and not pass traffic
You could not provision new interfaces.
Counters also stopped working. (we used this to find affected units)

> We recently had an ASR920-12CZ which stubbornly refused to establish link
> on any 1GE ports ("as if no cable was connected"), though *existing* links
> worked just fine.  After a reboot, all ports back to normal.
>
> This was on 16.06.05a - but the uptime was only 27.4 weeks, our monitoring
> says... - so, maybe a different "feature"...

Sounds like it may be different.
Did the counters work?
Maybe they decided to add it into 16.06 , you never know what a BU may decide is a must have feature....

Brian