[c-nsp] ASR920 randomly loosing layer-2 on a port

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Mon Jul 11 13:24:25 EDT 2022

Hello,

On Mon, 11 Jul 2022 at 18:20, Adrian Minta <adrian.minta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is one of the bugs in 3.x trains. The solution is to upgrade
> to something like 16.12.x.

Well, we don't really know what the solution is, unless someone is
actually running a significant number of boxes of previously affected
hardware with the latest release Cisco claims fixes this issue for at
least 890 days without issues.

Which is impossible, since Cisco's latest claim about a fix for
CSCvk35460 / CSCvw93411 is 16.12.6 (not 16.12.x), which was only
released in September 2021, so the early massive adopters of this
release will know in ... February 2024.

It's too easy for an engineer to say: hey you know what, we updated
low level firmware in the release published last week, I'm sure this
is related, why don't you upgrade to that release and let me know how
things go ... in 890 days (necessarily).

This issue was previously discussed here in 2019 [1]. I assume the
platform will be EOLed before we actually know for sure, wouldn't be
the first time [2].

cheers,
lukas

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/cisco-nsp@puck.nether.net/msg66833.html