[c-nsp] v6 vrrp

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Jul 14 08:34:50 EDT 2022

On 7/10/22 11:56, Randy Bush wrote:
>> The standard states that the first address in VRRP v3 IPv6 needs to be
>> an IPv6 link-local address.
>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc5798
> yup.  but as saku says, both xr and junos create the link local
> automagically.  and that is what i had in a differen pop.  so i
> mistakenly assumed xe would do the dirty.  my error.

As we've seen many times before, IOS XE and IOS XR may, just as well, be
from two very different companies.

We've hit a few issues with VRRP for IPv6, in the past, where it would
simply stop working for no apparent reason, while VRRP for IPv4 is
working just fine, on the same interface. In the end, a reboot of the
router fixed the issue. Seems to be a hardware programming issue, that
is very intermittent.

Look out for this, on the ASR1000 family.

Mark.