[c-nsp] An attribute with less priority than local preference for choosing a best path.

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Fri Jun 3 11:48:37 EDT 2022

Hello,

We have a few edge routers with multiple connections to multiple geographically diverse locations from the same AS number (for example we have a router that connects to Lumen in both Cleveland and Cincinnati).

Since the routes from both peers have mostly the same AS PATHs all of the traffic was going through one of the connections.

In order to control that I was using:

if community matches-any LUMEN-CLEVE then
    set local-preference 150
  endif

Makes perfect sense that any route tagged with a community in the list LUMEN-CLEVE would be preferred regardless of the AS-PATH.

My question is what is considered the right attribute to modify that won't override the AS-PATH length?

Would it be better to adjust MED?