[c-nsp] How to disable ILMI/SNMP CSCvs33325

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Sep 19 08:57:08 EDT 2022

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 03:47:09PM +0300, Hank Nussbacher via cisco-nsp wrote:
> On 19/09/2022 15:40, Gert Doering wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 19, 2022 at 02:29:06PM +0300, Hank Nussbacher via cisco-nsp wrote:
> >> Recently Shodan has been showing how it probes all our IOS-XE routers
> >> via SNMP even though we have an ACL on all our SNMP.  We then found that
> >> there is a bugid on the issue (ILMI can't be blocked by ACL):
> >> CSCvs33325
> >
> > Is that still a thing?  Insane.
> Indeed.

Just for reference, here's the 2001 bug.  With full PSIRT "get free
software upgrade" parts...

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/support/docs/csa/cisco-sa-20010227-ios-snmp-ilmi.html

[..]
> > That said, I tried to reproduce it on our boxes, and neither the ASR920
> > nor the lone ASR1000 reponds to SNMP v1 or v2c queries with community
> > "ILMI", with nothing in the config to block it (same source host can
> > query with one of the configured SNMP communities).  This is on IOS XE
> > 16.6.10 and 15.5(3)S10 respectively.  Seems you need something extra.
>
> It is V3.  Here is a Shodan snippet from one of dozens of alerts we get
> per day:

Good to know.  Looking at shodan, I see that both types of devices here
are listed as well (ewww!).

So, need to figure out what the magic -v3 incantation of snmpget is
to make this work... (every time I tried v3 so far has led to
"more grey hair").

thanks for the heads up

gert