[c-nsp] Hiding SCP Password Using Archive Feature

Richard Clayton sledge121 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 09:47:59 EDT 2023

Hi Guys

What I'm trying to achieve:

1.  Every time an engineer runs the write-memory command, a copy of the
running config is sent to my SCP server.
2.  Every 7 days, a copy of the running config is sent to my SCP server.
3. The password in configuration is not shown in clear text.

It's just #3 that I hope there is a fix for.

Here is an example of my config.

archive
 path scp://
user:password at 1.2.3.4/CUSTOMERS/CUSTOMER1/CUSTOMER-LONDON6-ETH1.cfg
 write-memory
 time-period 10080

Because the password part of the SCP config is not an IOS recognised
password I don't appear to be able to encrypt it.  If that's the case is
there a secure fudge, like somehow referencing a local username that does
have password encryption.

I'm not looking for server based solutions like SolarWinds etc.

Thanks
Rick