[c-nsp] ASR 1000 series replacement

Dragan Jovicic draganj84 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 04:16:18 EST 2023

Greeting,
We have a somewhat unusual scenario with thousands of CPE devices each
using cellular interface and gre tunnel to connect to hub router, currently
ASR 1001x.
The hub router deploys NHRP map multicast with GRE tunnels and bgp session
to each cpe device, each tunnel different customer vrf connected to mpls
core network.
There are hundreds of GRE tunnels.
What would be logical replacement for hub router considering expansion and
redundancy.
We tried a pair of stacked Cisco 9500, and it performed worse than expected.
One solution we have is another router with same addressing scheme, and to
rely on routing to migrate tunnels to this new router in the event of
failure of original hub.
We can't modify cpe configuration (must target same ip address).
Any suggestions?
Thanks