[c-nsp] Internet border router recommendations and experiences

Eric Louie elouie at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 22 13:29:00 EST 2023

Mark, thanks.  We were quoted a MX304 for the Internet edge from Juniper.  How has your experience been with it?  are you 10G upstream and downstream?  Any IPS on the 10G connection?
We tried an NCS-5501 and it was a disaster, in a word.  The 10G interface, uRPF, source-based blackholing, and routing table depth with Cisco is a limiting factor in their product line.
-e-

Eric Louie
619-743-5375 Cell/text
Stay in this moment, it's the only one you really have
Take the time to be compassionate today

    On Wednesday, February 22, 2023 at 08:36:31 AM PST, Mark Tinka via cisco-nsp <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

On 2/22/23 05:31, Eric Louie via cisco-nsp wrote:

> Hi folks
> Recommendations and your experiences with an Internet border router for a 10G Internet connection, with DDoS service and unicast reverse path forwarding. Brand and model requested, if you have it, and bad experiences are ok, too.

Likely to be blasphemous, but we are focusing on the Juniper MX204 for
this type of function, going forward.

On the Cisco side, I think the ASR9902 might be the closest
competitor... but unless things have "improved", Cisco's latest
licensing structure is rather bitter.

Mark.