[c-nsp] Internet border router recommendations and experiences

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Thu Feb 23 08:58:15 EST 2023

On 2/23/23 14:12, Alexandr Gurbo wrote:
> For 10g speeds the best solution is a linux box and a contract with an anti ddos partner.

Or even a server with a hypervisor running, say, CSR1000v or vMX or vSR
will do nicely. A little pricier than Linux, but likely worth it if you
have a decent server and are realistic about your traffic-handling
capabilities.

> All announced Juniper MX series, Cisco ASR1k or IOS XR 9k series are very expensive for the initial request. Not to mention about price on licensing, spare parts and RMA contracts from the vendor.

I'd throw Nokia and Arista in there, and maybe even Arrcus, as well as
consider some of their Broadcom boxes too, but only if your needs are
mainly hauling traffic, and not advanced packet manipulation.

> If you want known vendor, try review they old unsupported models from the second hands.

Plenty options there, but only for old gear. MX204's, ASR9000's, even
modern ASR1000's, are not readily available on the open market. And if
they are, as we have found, they are similarly priced as buying from the
OEM directly.

Mark.