[c-nsp] Internet border router recommendations and experiences

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Sun Feb 26 09:39:59 EST 2023

On 2/26/23 16:21, Phil Bedard wrote:

> Ok well there are a number those as well. The 55A2 and newer 57C3 also
> support a number of 100G ports.
>
> I quite don’t fully understand the “verbose architecture” comment.
> I’ve used a lot of router operating systems, Junos since 1999, SROS,
> XR, XE, you name it, and there isn’t a whole lot of difference between
> them in terms of configuration complexity and operations.  Obviously
> some just don’t have the feature set others do, but if you aren’t
> using the features then it doesn’t really matter.
>
> There are at this point tens of thousands of NCS 540s deployed in that
> types of role, so I’m a bit curious if there was something specific in
> the config or other operations that was a show stopper issue?

It's two things specifically for us - RPL construction in IOS XR can be
done in Junos for half the number of lines to achieve the same outcome,
without losing sophistication.

Secondly, maintaining IOS XR (upgrades and SMU's) is too tedious.

They may seem like trivial points, but for us, they mean a lot.

It's why we still prefer IOS XE (by way of the CSR1000v) as a route
reflector vs. Junos or IOS XR. IOS XE is far less verbose than the other
two, in that role.

Mark.