[c-nsp] [j-nsp] Stange issue on 100 Gbs interconnection Juniper - Cisco

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Sun Feb 11 08:10:38 EST 2024

Hey James,

You shared this off-list, I think it's sufficiently material to share.

2024 Feb  9 16:39:36 NEXUS1
%ETHPORT-5-IF_DOWN_PORT_CHANNEL_MEMBERS_DOWN: Interface
port-channel101 is down (No operational members)
2024 Feb  9 16:39:36 NEXUS1 %ETH_PORT_CHANNEL-5-PORT_DOWN:
port-channel101: Ethernet1/44 is down
Feb  9 16:39:35.813 2024  MX1 lacpd[31632]: LACPD_TIMEOUT: et-0/1/5:
lacp current while timer expired current Receive State: CURRENT
Feb  9 16:39:35.813 2024  MX1 lacpd[31632]: LACP_INTF_DOWN: ae49:
Interface marked down due to lacp timeout on member et-0/1/5

We can't know the order of events here, due to no subsecond precision
enabled on Cisco end.

But if failure would start from interface down, it would take 3seconds
for Juniper to realise LACP failure. However we can see that it
happens in less than 1s, so we can determine the interface was not
down first, the first problem was Juniper not receiving 3 consecutive
LACP PDUs, 1s apart, prior to noticing any type of interface state
related problems.

Is this always the order of events? Does it always happen with Juniper
noticing problems receiving LACP PDU first?

On Sun, 11 Feb 2024 at 14:55, james list via juniper-nsp
<juniper-nsp at puck.nether.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> 1) cable has been replaced with a brand new one, they said that to check an
> MPO 100 Gbs cable is not that easy
>
> 3) no errors reported on both side
>
> 2) here the output of cisco and juniper
>
> NEXUS1# sh interface eth1/44 transceiver details
> Ethernet1/44
>     transceiver is present
>     type is QSFP-100G-SR4
>     name is CISCO-INNOLIGHT
>     part number is TR-FC85S-NC3
>     revision is 2C
>     serial number is INL27050TVT
>     nominal bitrate is 25500 MBit/sec
>     Link length supported for 50/125um OM3 fiber is 70 m
>     cisco id is 17
>     cisco extended id number is 220
>     cisco part number is 10-3142-03
>     cisco product id is QSFP-100G-SR4-S
>     cisco version id is V03
>
> Lane Number:1 Network Lane
>            SFP Detail Diagnostics Information (internal calibration)

>                 Current              Alarms                  Warnings
>                 Measurement     High        Low         High          Low

>   Temperature   30.51 C        75.00 C     -5.00 C     70.00 C        0.00 C
>   Voltage        3.28 V         3.63 V      2.97 V      3.46 V        3.13 V
>   Current        6.40 mA       12.45 mA     3.25 mA    12.45 mA       3.25
> mA
>   Tx Power       0.98 dBm       5.39 dBm  -12.44 dBm    2.39 dBm     -8.41
> dBm
>   Rx Power      -1.60 dBm       5.39 dBm  -14.31 dBm    2.39 dBm    -10.31
> dBm
>   Transmit Fault Count = 0

>   Note: ++  high-alarm; +  high-warning; --  low-alarm; -  low-warning
>
> Lane Number:2 Network Lane
>            SFP Detail Diagnostics Information (internal calibration)

>                 Current              Alarms                  Warnings
>                 Measurement     High        Low         High          Low

>   Temperature   30.51 C        75.00 C     -5.00 C     70.00 C        0.00 C
>   Voltage        3.28 V         3.63 V      2.97 V      3.46 V        3.13 V
>   Current        6.40 mA       12.45 mA     3.25 mA    12.45 mA       3.25
> mA
>   Tx Power       0.62 dBm       5.39 dBm  -12.44 dBm    2.39 dBm     -8.41
> dBm
>   Rx Power      -1.18 dBm       5.39 dBm  -14.31 dBm    2.39 dBm    -10.31
> dBm
>   Transmit Fault Count = 0

>   Note: ++  high-alarm; +  high-warning; --  low-alarm; -  low-warning
>
> Lane Number:3 Network Lane
>            SFP Detail Diagnostics Information (internal calibration)

>                 Current              Alarms                  Warnings
>                 Measurement     High        Low         High          Low

>   Temperature   30.51 C        75.00 C     -5.00 C     70.00 C        0.00 C
>   Voltage        3.28 V         3.63 V      2.97 V      3.46 V        3.13 V
>   Current        6.40 mA       12.45 mA     3.25 mA    12.45 mA       3.25
> mA
>   Tx Power       0.87 dBm       5.39 dBm  -12.44 dBm    2.39 dBm     -8.41
> [...]

  ++ytti