[cisco-voip] Debugging Poor Handset Quality

Anthony Mendoza amendoza at Niku.com
Thu Oct 28 20:07:29 EDT 2004

Folks,

Between our NY and CA and between our CA and UK offices we have been
experiencing bad phone quality.  Choppy voice.. I've checked jitter
while on calls, but it doesn't look high...typically average in the 20s,
max generally less than 100.  Not may lost packets, sufficient bandwidth
between sites (e.g., no large downloads)..  latency between NY and CA
pretty constant <100ms, latency to UK <200ms..  I've got a Voice GW in
NY, none in the UK...any suggestions how I can debug further?  This is
also going over IPSEC VPN so no packet prioritization when leaving UK or
NY.  I'm running 7835s on the call managers (2 of them) and only have
about a total of 350 or so phones registered...  not sure if load on the
server could be an issue..

I'm generally using G.711 within a site and G.729 between sites..  The
Transcoder is centrally located in RWC (in case that is the issue)...

I welcome any suggestions on the best route for me to debug..

Thanks for any help you can provide,
--Anthony

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message and
or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination, copying, or other use of this
prohibited. If you received this e-mail or its attachments in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy
any copies.