[cisco-voip] Don't put SP1 on your Exchange 2003 server

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Mon Apr 4 16:23:22 EDT 2005

...unless you know how to fix the resulting problem(s?).  The
incompatibility was cleverly hidden in the Unified Communications forum at
http://tinyurl.com/6ypc3. When I enabled AvWm tracing, I found error code 5,
"The account under which the Cisco Unity Service is running does not have
rights to query the Service Control Manager."  Sub-errors were
AvUMRSuncSvr:3944 and AvMsgStoreMonitorSvr: 880.  The forum refers to a
document describing some ways to diagnose Exchange Server Offline problems,
with a crude but effective bypass, to make Unity think Exchange is up all
the time.  I've done that as a temporary fix until we can remove the Windows
2003 Service Pack tonight.

Mike Armstrong
UF/IFAS CREC
Lake Alfred, FL