[cisco-voip] 7. (the BIG mystery) Callmanager Express and ATA fax Passthrough

Andre Beck cisco-voip at ibh.net
Wed Apr 6 12:15:42 EDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 06:43:09PM +0200, Lasse Christiansen wrote:

> I've really been confused as to Cisco's recommendations on the ATA.
> I've seen H.323 specified on CCO while a Cisco SE advised me to use
> SCCP.

There has been lengthy discussion on this list regarding the issues of
faxing vs. ATAs. I have no first hand experience yet (coming soon), but
AFAIK it should work with skinny as long as you tweak the ATA correctly.
You have to set at least one bit mask in the device so it forcibly talks
G.711u/a. I've tested this only briefly and against a CCM, but CCME is
on the agenda.

> Have anyone tried registering CME DN's with a GK ?

Yes, works out of the box. If subscribed to a GK CCME registers all its
EPhone-DNs at the GK. Together with a RAS dialpeer you can easily distri-
bute DNs dynamically over a cloud of CCMEs and dial to every of them, the
closesed thing to dynamic call routig I've found so far.

> and also registering ATA's with a GK ?

With Skinny they are just ephones so it works out of the box. I don't
know how they would register in H.323 mode, though - they should register
themselves then, needing correct config for it, if that's at all possible.

> I've created Service Provider setup's with ATA's running SIP. But in
> this scenario it looks like H.323 would be the right choice for the CME
> solution.

Only if you absolutely don't get it running with Skinny. If there are
any known bugs which reliably prevent this and have no known and/or
acceptable workarounds, I'd like to know more about them as well.
Sales dropped in ATAs because they are cheaper than VWIC-*FXS and I've
got to deal with it :-/

HTH,
Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-