[cisco-voip] Call Manager 3.3(Sr4) with Microsoft AD Integration

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Mon Apr 18 09:16:51 EDT 2005

I would hazard a guess that your search base is the root of the domain?
  Take a sniffer or NetMon capture from your publisher when you do an EM
login (or global directory search).  When you search the root of the
domain in AD you will get referrals, even if the info you are looking
for is returned automatically.  CM will try to chase down those
referrals to get at least some response (even if it is null).   The
referrals you get will be different in AD2000 vs 2003.  DISCLAIMER --
I'm no MCSE and I won't even pretend to be an AD expert.  Below is what
I've seen from looking at customer's sniffer traces, treat it as
anecdotal at best.

In 2003 you will get usually 3-4 referrals, the important ones being
domaindnszones and forestdnszones.  Any failure to search those two
will cause major delays.   By default forestdnszones is any DC that is
a name server in your AD (I'm not sure what domaindnszones is but I
assume it's similar).  If you do an nslookup against those two entries
you will most likely get a list of responses.

In 2000 I've seen that a search against the root will result in
referrals for every DC.  One of those DCs goes down and all of your
ldap searches get very long as CM will try to connect to the DC that is
down and fails.

The root of the delay, regardless of what version of AD you are
running, is referrals that CM can't parse.  Take your sniffer capture
from the publisher while trying an EM login.  Filter it for http and
ldap (in the view, never use a capture filter).  You'll see the phone
request the EM login, then CM will do it's ldap thing (bind request,
search request, etc).  In the search response you will see referrals
and you should see CM chase down those referrals.   You may also see CM
apparently do the same series of searches 20-30 apart.   This indicates
that CM is failing to connect to one of the referrals.

So now that you have your list of referrals, try pinging each of them
from the publisher.  Can't ping one?    That's your problem.

If all of them ping, then you may have a more quirky issue.  Try
filtering for all TCP packets on port 389 (or whatever your ldap port
if you've changed it).   Look for any SYN message from the CM that
either gets a RST immediately OR gets no response at all.  With no
response you should see the same source port send a TCP SYN to port 389
on the remote server at exponentially-increasing intervals (3s, 6s,
12s, etc).  This is what causes the big delays.

Once you've fixed whatever DNS configuration that was causing CM to
connect to the server that was down or incorrect, you'll need to either
restart the publisher or just bounce IIS and Tomcat.  Also don't forget
to do a 'ipconfig /flushdns'.

Hope this helps,

-Ryan