[cisco-voip] Malicious Call Trace

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Wed Apr 20 22:59:00 EDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 12:58 -0700, Voll, Scott wrote:
> OK—
>
> I’m studying for the Cisco IPT test and I have just setup Malicious
> call tracing And I’m trying to see what good this is.  If the caller
> blocks caller ID, what good is this?  And for that matter, why doesn’t
> the user just write down the number or go back and get it from your
> directories → received calls?

Because Caller ID can be faked or blocked.  Malicious Call ID does two
things for you.  First of all it marks the call in CCM's CDR records so
that the exact call record can be found easier in your CDR database.
Second, (assuming you have the proper trunks to the PSTN) it sends a
signal to the telco to mark their CDR records.  These steps will make it
easier to trace the malicious call back to the origin.

Jeff