[cisco-voip] RE: Voip solution

Marc Hering mhering at reval.com
Thu Apr 28 16:11:24 EDT 2005

Call Manager Express is a software image that runs on a Router (I
usually use a 3700 series)  You can install most of the modules you
would need in there (POTS, ISDN PRI etc) and have it act as a
gateway/CallMGR  It isn't as robust as  a call mgr and it isn't as easy
to manage, but it's not bad.  Since the Router can act as a gateway, I
just setup a dial peer to point to another CCME gateway (Person
registered to router a, dials xxxx router a forwards the session to
router b)  Any IP phone running the proper software (SIP/Skinny) can
register to it as long as it can connect. For Internet phones you would
have to open a lot of ports to get it to work, I usually have the
clients connect via VPN then use the softphone...

As for Voice mail they make a Unity Express module that fits into the
router. IT will solve your small office needs (It doesn't support
Unified Messaging, It's a down and dirty VM application) and it has some
limited autoattendant features right out of the box (it can do more, but
you have to get into some heavy mods to do it)

There is another option,  If you are willing to deal with a possibly
complex configuration and Open source software, there is a program
called Asterisk you can use  This is a open source full featured IP call
system that runs on Linux. Since it's open source, it runs on a standard
X86 box and the software is free, so you don't have the heavy cost of
the hardware /software as you would with a standard CCM or CCME(you just
need cards to support whatever PSTN lines you have).  It has a full
featured Voice mail system (I think it can do unified messaging but I'm
not sure) and you can connect 2 or more sites over IP.

The only downside is that it is open source so if you have a problem,
there is no direct support line you can call, (such as the Cisco TAC)
and it can be somewhat complex to get working (I have a test box at home
that I am going to be setting up, but since I haven't gotten Fedora
loaded on it yet it's still sitting ;) )

<M>