[cisco-voip] Re: 7940/60 phonesbreaking at the switchhook -- Different Problem

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Mon Jan 10 12:18:05 EST 2005

I've seen this also.  We told the user to use the speakerphone until the
phone was replaced.  The switchhook apparatus is elegant and complex in a
Rube Goldberg sort of way, but the bottom line is that it doesn't work like
the good old 500 handset.  Lifting the phone allows a spring to flip,
which allows a plunger-like plastic (? - magnetic?) thingy to fall on a
small electronic module (that module also lights the MWI).  This looks like
some sort of proximity sensor, which probably tells a logical switch
somewhere in the bowels of the phone to go off-hook.  It's not all that
positive an action, so the little plunger might not plunge with enough
pressure to convince the proximity sensor of its proximity.

BTW, I just got e-mail back from TAC -- they've had a change of heart and
are going to RMA the phone.  I'm going to tell all our people to turn the
little tabs around to hide the hook so that this won't happen again (I
hope).

If anyone knows a source of repair parts (especially front case halves) for
these phones, please let me know.

mike