[cisco-voip] 7940/60 phonesbreaking at the switchhook --Different Problem

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Mon Jan 10 12:18:32 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 11:25:26AM -0500, Hering, Marc wrote:
> We have about 250 phones and have had 3 phones fail in the last 2.5
> years...No probs with RMA but none were for physical failures...2 had a
> bad Switchport and wouldn't link with the switch. And one wouldn't
> boot..

	I think we had to rma maybe one or two phones besides the one
i already mentioned.. our failures have been very limited (imho).

	The lack of suitable upgrade path for 7960/40 software has
been the biggest problem for us.  We pull together groups from around
our company to connect to our soft pbx, so they get phones with various
software revisions on them (we order with SIP sw, but they *STILL* get
shipped with a SCCP load).

	Upgrading these to 7.x from 3.x is quite painful as we'd like
to keep a common tftp server to do a full upgrade path..

	we can't stick the P00 (UAL) images directly on those older
phones, so we have to do a multi-stage upgrade to get the phone
ready, which requires manual intervention each time.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net