[cisco-voip] Curios QoS related problem

Anthony Mendoza amendoza at Niku.com
Mon Jan 17 17:58:19 EST 2005

I've got a curious QoS issue that I'm beating my head against.

Our VPN Infrastructure is a basic hub/spoke.  Hub is our corporate HQ
and spokes are branch offices.  When folks are using IP Phones at the
hub offices contacting HQ the following symptoms sporadically appear:

1)  HQ IP Phone User cannot hears broken up voice of Branch Office User
2)  Branch Office User hears HQ IP Phone User fine

What parameters should I be looking at?  I've verified that G.729 is
being used and that QoS is configured as applicable.  Are there any
Enterprise Parameters on the CCM I can look at?  We're using CM
4.0(2a)sr1a on OS 2.6sr5.

Our VPN Devices are Netscreens and I've just gotten some technotes from
them on how to apply QoS to ensure the VoIP packets leave first.
However, the only default service is for H.323.  What ports do the IP
Phones use when contacting each other?  I can create a custom service
for the Cisco IP Phone traffic for my VPN policy QoS as well.

Thanks for any help,
-anthony

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message and
or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination, copying, or other use of this
prohibited. If you received this e-mail or its attachments in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and
destroy any copies.