[cisco-voip] Re: Curios QoS related problem

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Mon Jan 17 20:31:33 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:58:19PM -0800, Anthony Mendoza wrote:
> I've got a curious QoS issue that I'm beating my head against.

[...]
> 1)  HQ IP Phone User cannot hears broken up voice of Branch Office User
> 2)  Branch Office User hears HQ IP Phone User fine

I certainly sounds like a congestion problem.  But where?

If only a few branches have broken voice, you can apply QOS to the
outbound interfaces at each branch and stand a reasonable chance of
getting better voice quality.

If *every* branch has broken voice, I would suspect the inbound portion
of your hub -- is it an oversubscribed ATM or frame-relay link?  If
you're saturating an inbound layer-2 aggregation circuit, you're
probably best off increasing the total bandwidth rather than trying to
decide which packets to delay/throw-away.