[cisco-voip] Re: RTP Ports

Dan Wing dwing at cisco.com
Tue Jan 18 16:36:16 EST 2005

Hi.

Some Cisco products use that range, other Cisco products use other
ranges, and some Cisco products allow the range to be configured.
There isn't an industry standard, defacto standard, or IANA registry
that specifies the UDP port or UDP port range for RTP traffic or
non-RTP traffic.

I don't recommend using UDP port numbers as the only mechanism to
permit, deny, or identify RTP packets.  The best mechanism available
today is call signaling.  Call signaling identifies the UDP ports (and
IP addresses) for media and that can be used to open and close the
appropriate 3-tuple (destintation IP, protocol=UDP, destination port)
or 5-tuple (source IP, destination IP, protocol=UDP, source port,
destination port) in your firewall(s).

-d