[cisco-voip] Upgrading SIP images on Cisco 7960

Kevin Thorngren kevint at cisco.com
Sat Jan 22 09:01:45 EST 2005

Hi Candace,

I have not done much with SIP but typically the "Protocol Application
Invalid" error means that the phone is having problems accessing the
TFTP server.  If you can capture a Sniffer trace of the phone booting
you will probably find the problem.  Also, there is this issue I found
that you may be running into:

CSCee31047 - Universal App Loader does not config file hunt on all TFTP
errors
Problem: The Universal Application Loader does not config file
          hunt SIP or MGCP configuration files if a TFTP Error
          other than File Not Found is received.

Workaround: Ensure TFTP Server is configured to send File Not
             Found error messages.

If you are seeing something other than "File Not Found" being returned
as an error you might be running into this issue.

Hope this helps.

Kevin