[cisco-voip] Unity 4.0(3) to 4.0(4) upgrade issues

Carter, Bill WCarter at sentinel.com
Wed Jun 29 11:19:53 EDT 2005

I had some very weird Unity VM upgrade problems last night.  I ran
through the setup (had some minor issues but got through them).

I ran the Permissions wizard specifying the appropriate account.  I then
started "Configure Unity Services".  When prompted for the Unity
installation account, I selected the AD Administrator account (VM only,
for simplicity customer wants all Unity services run under
XYZ\Administrator instead of unityXXX) and typed in the password.  Error
box "You do not have sufficient access to verify this accounts password"
and I can't proceed.

I then went into AD, Administrator account properties.  Under Security -
Administrator there was 1 or 2 check marks, but the various groups had
everything checked accept Full Control.  For the Administrator account I
checked Full Control, closed out and logged out.

I logged back in with the XYZ\Administrator account, re-ran "Configure
Unity Services" successfully and completed the installation. Great!

I rebooted the server at the end of the installation.  It took about 10
minutes from Windows Logon and a functional desktop.  Most of the Unity
"log-on as" services started.  AvDSGlobal Catalog and AsDSAD failed to
start with login failures reported.  In each of the services I changed
the password for the logins and started the services.

We then ran the 4.0(4)sr1 update.  No problems, server reboots, I take a
quick glance to make sure all is ok.

DooHH!  AvDSGlobal Catalog and AsDSAD failed to start with login
failures reported.  In each of the services I changed the password for
the logins and started the services.  Services still fail to start!  Go
into AD - User - Administrator - Properties - Security - check "Full
Control" (I did this an hour ago, and now permissions have reverted
back.).  Log Off, log On, services fail to start.  Run Permissions
Wizard, start services.  Everything Works.

Being a gluten for punishment, I rebooted again.  Repeat above
paragraph.  As it stands Unity 4.0(4)SR1 VM is up and running.
Administrators have strict instructions not to reboot the server.

What's up ????

Unity 4.0(4)SR1
Voice Mail Only
Exchange 2000 SP3 with Post-install Rollup
Windows 2K SP4 with a bunch of updates.