[cisco-voip] Evaluating CCM 5.0

Chris Soechting Chris at INXi.com
Tue Oct 17 10:49:17 EDT 2006

You can use DMA to get a license file.

Here is what I did:

Install 4.1, BAT in 1000 7970 phones
Install DMA, run DMA - you will need an SFTP server
Install 5.0 as Windows Upgrade

This will give you 5000 device licenses

Regards,

Chris Soechting, CCIE #15782 (Voice), CCSP
Sr. Consulting Engineer
INX Inc - InterNetwork Experts
7600 N. Capital of TX Highway
Bldg B, Ste 120
Austin, TX 78731
IP Phone: 512.795.7107
Fax: 512.795.8844
Email: chris at inxi.com
Web: www.inxi.com

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-voip-bounces at puck.nether.net] On Behalf Of Andre Beck
Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 8:31 AM
To: cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
Subject: [cisco-voip] Evaluating CCM 5.0

Hi,

I got hold of a supported hardware platform (IBM x346) for some days
and thought it would be a good idea to evaluate CCM 5.0 on that box.
The problems started when the installation DVD claimed that the plat-
form would be unsupported. I had to find out why that is (it actually
has a list of all IBM platform IDs and freaks out when your hardware
is a bit newer, like my 8840-3SX, despite the fact it matches every
requirement perfectly) and how to fix it (modifying HWTABLE.data and
rebuilding the DVD on a RW). Then I had to work around an unwanted
downgrade the former installation of 4.1(3) did to the machine's BIOS,
which resulted in the CPU (3400MHz) being misdetected as a 2800MHz.
Finally the DVD installed and I found out the hard way that 5.0 intro-
duces a new, enforced licensing model. No way to test the box without
a license, and no evaluation mode or evaluation license to be found
on CCO (anywhere I looked).

So is there any way of doing an evaluation of CCM 5 with some phones
and maybe a gateway? Or do I best forget about it? There are demo
licenses for other products to be found on CCO, so why not CCM 5?

TIA,
Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-