[cisco-voip] Strict Priority Queuing over T1 for Voice

Keith Klevenski keith.klevenski at rig.net
Wed Oct 25 13:06:21 EDT 2006

Thanks Jason.

After doing some more research I think I may be hitting CSCsb49202:

6608 : Incorrect marking DSCP value to 0

It is first fixed in version 4.1(3)ES53 which is newer than SR3c which
is what we're running and is the latest SR.

If this is the problem this actually makes sense.  I'm not seeing any
drops in the HIGH priority queue, but plenty in the low queue when there
is congestion on the T1.  All of the RTP packets I saw were marked EF,
but I didn't see if every single packet in sequence was marked with EF.
If some are being marked with DSCP 0 then they would be dropped in the
low priority queue which I see plenty of drops there when there is
congestion on the T1.  And the fact that if I am on an internal call
(over the T1) or out a different gateway I do not see any problems.

PQ has been working fine for us and works fine with links over satellite
for oil rigs.  We only care about voice so that's why we use legacy PQ.
Easy and straightforward.

Instead of upgrading to the latest ES we're going to mark all RTP
packets with DSCP EF manually to make sure they are marked properly.  I
will update the group with the results.

Thanks for all of the input!

Keith