[cisco-voip] Remote 7961 Phone at Someone's House - Notes forSetup!

Linsemier, Matthew MLinsemier at apcapital.com
Thu Oct 26 11:19:05 EDT 2006

Tech Guy speaks the truth! In his post he has basically summarized all the trial and tribulations that I have went through over the course of the last few years here at my company.

Originally we started out with 1x PIX 501 and 1x 7960 doing “test” calls from a home.  In a matter of weeks that ballooned into “deploy PIXes to home users”, regardless of whether or not they could do any QoS (which they couldn’t).  Later we upgraded to Cisco 831/837 routers doing IPSec with QoS and our performance was spotty.  Some users experiences were great while others perceived jitter as “problems with the phone system” which of course got escalated up the chain of management.

This year we did yet another upgrade to Cisco 871/877 routers, increased bandwidth where we could, implemented VLAN’s to separate corporate and home networks, introduced wireless, maximized our QoS on endpoints, and moved to the g.729 codec (g.711 was the original way Cisco touted to do it).  Things are getting increasingly better, but as Tech Guy stated, you can “QoS it to death” (I am stealing this phrase by the way) until you are blue in the face yet ultimately at the mercy of the provider and Internet.

Matt