[cisco-voip] Unity drive filling up

Gary L. Pate gpate at kenttech.com
Mon Oct 30 13:56:17 EST 2006

I have a customer who keeps running into the issue of running out of disk
space because of the SQL logs. I had opened a TAC case, and we ran a
procedure to reduce this and that worked fine, and they also stated that the
normal Unity backup should be reducing this log file which doesn't seem to
be happening. They are running Backup exec 10d Rev. 5629. Does anyone know
if there is an issue with this version, and what I need to do to ensure the
log files are being reduced? Also, can these be moved to another drive with
more space?
Here is the procedure I followed to reduce the file:

CDrive filling up and the Event Viewer has the following error:
Error: 9002, Severity: 17, State: 6
The log file for database 'ReportDb' is full. Back up the transaction log
for the database to free up some log space.
1st. You need to ensure that Unity is being backed up, which causes the .log
files to shrink. If not, you can run the following procedure to shrink the
log file.
How to Squeeze UnityDB if it grows to large:

1. Bring up command prompt
2. osql  -E
3. use unitydb
4. go
5. backup log unitydb with no_log
6. go
7. dbcc shrinkdatabase(unitydb)
8. go
9. exit

Example:
Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\WINNT>osql -E
1> use Unitydb
2> go
1> backup log unitydb with no_log
2> go
1> dbcc shrinkdatabase(unitydb)
2> go
 DbId   FileId CurrentSize MinimumSize UsedPages   EstimatedPages
 ------ ------ ----------- ----------- ----------- --------------
      6      1        1192          80        1184           1184
      6      2          63          63          56             56

(2 rows affected)
DBCC execution completed. If DBCC printed error messages, contact your
system
administrator.
1> exit

C:\WINNT>osql -E
1> use reportdb
2> go
1> backup log reportdb with no_log
2> go
1> dbcc shrinkdatabase(reportdb)
2> go
 DbId   FileId CurrentSize MinimumSize UsedPages   EstimatedPages
      5      1         376          80         352            352
      5      2          63          63          56             56