[cisco-voip] conference bridge

Jefflin Choi jefflin.choi at gmail.com
Wed May 2 08:24:37 EDT 2007

Hi All,

We have a central office using g711 and a remote branch with g729(Due to 64k
framerelay link).

 We only have dsp's at the central site. In order to make a conference, we
configured it as conference bridge and place it as media resource for the
remote and the central site.

The problem is, when doing adhoc conference with the remote branch, the
quality of the remote phone degrades to an unacceptable situation.  Without
conference, the voice quality is ok.

Testing the conference with 100mbps link, voice quality is better so it
seems like bandwidth is the issue.

Since configuring this for the first time...had few questions hope someone
could enlighten me.
1> what will be the bandwidth required when the remote branch did an adhoc
conference with for example 2 phones. 2 phones at central site that uses
g711. Is it still 24k?

2>I had this configuration where the maximum session is 2. Is this 2
conference with 8 participants? Can the i use this as 5 conference with 3
participants?

3>Can i use a transcoder instead of conference bridge and transcode the g729
of the remote to g711 then the participants will use the callmanager's
software conference bridge to do a conference using all g711?

4>Trying to configure the Media resource group list using the software
conference bridge and fallback to the the enhance ios conference bridge if
in case g729 comes in but it didn't work. Seems like i have to configure
every phone on central and remote to use the enhance ios conference bridge.
Is there a way to allow this?

Thanks in adv.