[cisco-voip] [c-nsp] Yanking Compact Flash while the router is up...

keli at carocomp.ro keli at carocomp.ro
Sat May 26 02:31:28 EDT 2007

I'd definitely go with planned downtime, instead of experimenting, but
if you have a prepared flash (same IOS, same configs, same files), it
might just work.

AFAIK a running router shouldn't really use it's flash. [for the short
time, while you change it] Whatever is used from the IOS should be
preloaded in memory at boot (I know a *nix kernel behaves like that, I
suppose something similar from the IOS, based on the boot-up sequence).

But if your router is so critical, that you don't want to power it off
for the flash change, I'd experiment on a different router first ... ;)

regards,
   Zoltan