[cisco-voip] VoIP trunk calls that will not die!

Fretz, EA Eric @ IS Eric.A.Fretz at L-3Com.com
Tue May 29 15:27:19 EDT 2007

Ok folks, I have a weird one for you.

I have a Cisco 3845 (12.4.5-IPSERVICES) with 8 E&M ports installed.
Each E&M port is setup for a trunk connection to a MeetMe conference
number at our main location.  This works perfectly, except that during a
WAN outage, the trunk calls never go back into "pending" state even
though the conference is unreachable.  I have actually disconnected the
3845 for 48 hours (in a test lab, of course) and the calls showed to be
"S_TRUNKED" the entire time.  This is a problem because the endpoint of
these VoIP trunk calls are DSPs in a WS-SVC-CMM that will timeout after
two hours of RTP inactivity (two hours is the maximum value).  After the
DSPs timeout and WAN connectivity is reestablished, the call will
reconnect to the conference bridge but it will never renegotiate DSP
resources unless the E&M interfaces are manually shutdown and the
conference is deleted.

I have tried various combinations of RTP timeout values on the 3845
router and nothing seems to make those calls die when the WAN connection
is severed.

Any ideas?