[cisco-voip] SIP port open on CCME by default?

Kelemen Zoltan keli at carocomp.ro
Wed Jan 16 06:34:23 EST 2008

My tests so far show that
- by default SIP ports are open, even though nothing related shows up in
the configuration.
- the CCME will obediently route all incoming SIP calls, without any
authentication whatsoever (again, this is a default config, where you
might have been in the illusion, that you had not configured anything
SIP related)

SIP port /can be disabled/ explicitly, using:
(config)#sip-ua
(config-sip-ua)#no transport tcp
(config-sip-ua)#no transport udp

- similarly, H.323 is also running and wide open, by default. to disable
it (if you don't need it of course)
(config)#voice service voip
(conf-voi-serv)#h323
(conf-serv-h323)#call service stop

I'm well aware, that there were a bunch of things we should have been
aware of and a bunch of things we should have done differently right
from the beginning, *but I still cannot believe, that this can be an
acceptable default behavior on a CCME*.

In short, be /very/ aware, what are you running with a public IP, and
verify it, no matter what reason says.

regards,
Zoltan

ps. and a new (for me) cisco command I've learned today :)
sh tcp brief all numeric
(netstat like output)