[cisco-voip] Connecting multiple clusters together

Micah Bennett mbennett at als-xtn.com
Wed Nov 19 10:05:58 EST 2008

Are there any documents or can anyone comment on what is needed and how
you go about connecting multiple call manager clusters together.

In the next few weeks and months I expect to be connecting to our new
parent company.  I believe they are on CCM 3.x.  We are on CCM 4.2(3).

They are using IPCC 3.x and we are using IPCC 4.x.  I know that they
have two offices using CCM.  I don't know if its one cluster or two
clusters.  I believe it is just one.  I don't know of any plans or need
to integrate the IPCC portions at this time, but I do believe we want to
establish office to office extension dialing as soon as possible.

Here are some of the things I think I know.

1.	We are going to need some type of connection to them.  I assume
this would be a T1 at minimum.  If it is one cluster, we should only
need one to the main location.  If there are two clusters we will need a
connection to both.  Our network is using Sprints MPLS cloud.  We should
be able to drop connections from those two new offices directly into the
MPLS cloud that we are already connected to.

2.	Traffic between the locations will use G729 to get the best use
out of the smallest connection.  We do this between our existing two
locations.

3.	If they are using extension ranges that conflict with our
existing ranges, each office will need to do some type of translation to
avoid someone having to change extension ranges.  For example if they
have an ext 2352 and we have an ext 2352, we will need to assign a
leading digit to each office.  I might dial 6(2352) to get to them and
they would dial (7)2352 to get to me.

4.	Instead of routing calls to those offices extensions out to the
PSTN, I would route them across the connection to the other offices and
they would have routing set up to accept the digits I sent, and convert
them back to the proper extension for routing the call to the correct
location.

Am I on track so far, or is this totally wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Micah Bennett
Telecommunications Admin
Automated License Systems