[cisco-voip] VOIP in Ethiopia

Joris Arts jarts at speechworks.nl
Mon Nov 24 17:21:12 EST 2008

Hi Louis,

Not in Ethiopia, however my experience in other countries in Africa has
learned me that the availability of reliable connections is heaviliy
depending on the location: Capitals and economic centres have international
connections via landline or aggregted VSAT and are capable of running Voip
or even Video over IP. Prepare for high circuit costs though.

I am currently doing a video over IP project with VSAT connections into
Angola, Congo, Cameroon and Nigeria. Though the costs are high, the service
is possible at a fair quality, even if the latency is huge (over 400 ms).

If you move away from the main cities it will be an entirely different
story: then probably you need your private VSAT connection, which is a
costly affair, I don't think there will be network connections out of Addis
Abeba or any other main city in Ethiopia.

My 5 cents...

Best regards,

Joris Arts

Speechworks Consultancy