[cisco-voip] 7941 Upgrade Stuck

David J. Proe DJP at factsservices.com
Thu Apr 9 16:06:07 EDT 2009

I have a Cisco  7941 phone that is stuck on the upgrading splash screen. It
is used as a SIP phone in an Asterisk based system.

It was running SIP41.8-0-2SR1S for several years without a problem. After
the daylight savings time was changed, I had to manually adjust all of our
phone sets time as there was no way that I could see to apply the new DST
time change dates. I got tired doing this manually and checked to see if
there was a current update that might work on the phone. Several attempts to
upgrade in the past disabled the phone and I resorted to downgrading back to
SIP41.8-0-2SR1S. I found SIP41.8-4-4S, unpacked the files and moved them to
the tftp server root. I performed the factory reset sequence and this
version upgrade seemed to complete 100%. Everything seemed to be in place
except that the phone did not register and get a number. You could not dial
in or out, kind of important stuff. The 'unprovisioned message' was
displayed on the screen. All of my services and phone directory information
was there but I also noticed that there was no longer a reference anywhere
in the setup for the tftp server. After fumbling around for an hour or so
trying to get it to work, I decided that I would downgrade back to
SIP41.8-0-2SR1S. I replaced all of the files with the original ones on the
tftp server and changed the <loadinformation> tag back to SIP41.8-0-2SR1S. I
then performed the factory reset and it looked like it was going to work as
the initial splash screen changed from displaying a recent copyright back to
2005. That is as far as it gets. I see the mac address displayed and the
word 'Upgrading' on the splash screen. That is where it stops. I  tried the
upgrade again using  SIP41.8-4-1SR2S, but it just won't load anything else.

It gets an ip address and I can tftp to the phone but cannot manually put
any files.

I don't know what else to try.

David Proe