[cisco-voip] fax and modem relay

Eric Pedersen eric.pedersen at sait.ca
Tue Apr 14 14:33:28 EDT 2009

Running CM 6.1(2) and MGCP to our gateways.

We are turning up a remote site with limited bandwidth to our main campus so I am investigating the use of fax and modem relay at this site.  I have some questions, if someone has experience with this:

Does CM negotiate the selection of passthrough or relay between endpoints, and is this taken into account for bandwidth calculations between locations?

Our main campus PRIs for pstn calls are configured for fax passthrough.  The remote site router will be configured for relay.  For calls to or from the PSTN, can I force the selection of relay?  I don't want to switch all our calls to relay, just to the remote site.

Thanks,
Eric