[cisco-voip] QSIG over H323 with GK

James Brown james.m.h.brown at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 23 18:54:11 EDT 2009

All,

We have an opportunity to convert some existing QSIG E1 tie-lines
(between TDM PBXs) to IP and at the same time allow our UCM cluster to
reach the PBX sites. I wondered if anyone could spare a few minutes to
advise me on the implementation please?

My preferred setup would be:

UCM H225 Trunk <--> GK <--> H323 IOS GW <--> TDM PBX

The reason I like H323 in this instance is that this environment
includes four separate PBXs and I'd like to keep the old dial-plan away
from UCM and use GK CAC. The PBXs are various Nortel models and I
believe the IOS H323 implementation may offer slightly more flexibility
when integrating.

Having read around the topic, it seems that UCM supports ISO QSIG
whereas IOS supports ECMA QSIG. To make matters worse, UCM tunnels QSIG
over H323 using Annex M, while IOS uses the GTD field within a GKTMP
message.

Could anyone tell me whether a Cisco GK could successfully reconcile
what looks like a different versions of QSIG and different tunnelling
mechanisms please? Is the approach I'm taking valid, or would I be
better using MGCP? Does anyone have any experiences they could share
when integrating with a Nortel Option 61/81 with QSIG?

Many thanks,

James.