[cisco-voip] Speed up skinny?

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Mon Aug 3 16:39:20 EDT 2009

What CM version are you on?

Only recent optimization available is Advanced CM service parameter
"Bundle Outbound SCCP Messages Timer" to enable bundling of SCCP
messages. More messages per packet = fewer ACKs = fewer round trips.
Much further back there was an effort to streamline the number of
messages required to setup SCCP call.

SCCP capabilities are exchanged at device registration so it does not
suffer the same issue as h.323 where capabilities must exchange during
every call setup.  There is no MSD equivalent.  SCCP overall is a much
lighter protocol at the point of call signaling.  The only round trip
requirement in SCCP is OpenReceiveChannel/OpenReceiveChannelAck with
remote IP:Port.  StartMediaTransmission is required and cannot be sent
until IP:Port is received from far end device.  Unfortunately this
exchange is required with no way to bypass this round trip for SCCP.

One area we commonly see issues is shared lines at remote sites.  This
is covered in SRND:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/srnd/6x/netstruc.html#wp1045582

Is it really RTT or is it possibly link speed that is causing the issue?

/Wes