[cisco-voip] UCM linegroup hunting algorithm for voicemail ports?

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Mon Aug 31 11:40:09 EDT 2009

Wondering what call distribution algorithm most people use on the
linegroups in UCM for Unity and Unity Connection ports.

We recently found a few major accounts using "Longest Idle" hunting
algorithm on the line groups. That algorithm ignores the configured busy
treatment on the linegroup.  This causes CM to send calls to the
linegroup for failover Unity server when all members of the primarly
linegroup are busy.  Asterisks and fineprint on the page indicate this
is designed behavior:

Hunt Options:
Busy**
Fields marked with a ** are required when the Distribution Algorithm is
set to Top Down or Circular, and are not used when the Distribution
Algorithm is set to Longest Idle or Broadcast. The No Answer setting is
used for Longest Idle and Broadcast.

I suspect the combination of "Longest Idle" as the default and this
limitation lead to several undiagnosed unexpected Unity failovers.

/Wes