[cisco-voip] WAN failure in call manager

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Dec 10 17:45:03 EST 2009

it depends.

For MGCP functionality the gateway is monitoring CM.  When failure is
detected router follows the configured fallback apllication, usually h.323
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cusrst/admin/srst/configuration/guide/srs_wlan.html#wp1351962

That is only for the gateway though.

Phones monitor CM connecvity. When phone loses connectivity to CM they
attempt to register with SRST router.  When they register they tell the
router about their configuration.

To that end it is both phone initiated and gateway initiated.  The
gateway does not control all logic, nor does the phone control all logic.

/Wes