[cisco-voip] When is Transcoding Required?

Daniel dan.voip at danofive.id.au
Thu Dec 10 23:30:16 EST 2009

Yes you can selectively configure what codec is used between phones,
gateways and sites etc.... You can do this by using regions, also on H323
dial peers you can set the codec.

Regions
Codecs can be configured between regions so that branch talking to core over
the WAN is a a G729 call between regions, you would set the service
parameter so that G729 is default between regions (inter region) and then
default that its G711 within a region (Intra region). You can then manually
configure specific regions, for example we use G711 to a Music on Hold
region so that we can do G711 MoH from a router flash and also in our
environment we have G711 configured to a tandberg trunk so that no matter
what site your at desktop video calls to our tandberg environment are G711
audio with a specific amount of video quality.

If the gateway and phones are on the same LAN then use G711 have them in the
same region. If the call is from a gateway to another site phone on
a different LAN over a WAN then use G729 between the regions.

My example for this would be a site gateway receives an ISDN call for a
phone, If the call is answered at this point it would be G711, but the user
is not available so the call diverts to voicemail, the voicemail server is
centrallised at the head office so the call traverses the WAN to conenct to
the voicemail box, this is now between regions so the call is now G729. The
gateway dial peer would need to support G729, the voicemail server would
need to support G729. If they don't both support G729 then a transcoder is
needed your preference here to reduce bandwidth needed would be to have the
gateway support G729 via the dial peer and then a trancoder at head office
next to the voicemail server so that the traffic over the WAN from the
gateway is G729 to the transcoder and G711 to the G711 only voicemail
server.