[cisco-voip] WAN failure in call manager

Jim Skelton jim.skelton at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:06:29 EST 2009

It is the phone's responsibility to register with a Callmanager  or SRST
router.  You will notice if properly setup the SRST router should be last
item in the list of CallManagers on the phone.    Therefore, if the phone
cannot reach it's primary Callmanager it will continue through it's list of
Callmanagers until it reaches the last item which is the SRST router.  It
will register with the SRST and the phone will provide the SRST router its
telephone number.  Since in most cases the SRST router has the PSTN
connectivity, it has all the necessary information to be able to deliver
calls both inbound and outbound.

Once the WAN is restored then phone will register back to it's primary
CallManager.

Does that make sense?

Thanks,

Jim Skelton
Halliburton
Global IT Architecture

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 4:15 PM, anand <anand.eee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been breaking my head to understand the exact functions of SRST.
> During the WAN failure, SRST router takes PSTN path.My question is during
> this time will the call manager controls the call or Call Manager is
> completely out of operation(I mean it does not take any part in the call
> control on the PSTN path).

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is
strong enough to take everything you have.” — Thomas Jefferson