[cisco-voip] Nortel phones on Cisco Swtich

Wes Sisk wsisk at cisco.com
Thu Feb 12 10:58:18 EST 2009

Static is sometimes QoS related, but it can also be directly in the
audio stream which QoS will not help.

Start with a packet capture.  wireshark will extract audio and output
and audio file.  if you hear static in the audio file then the static is
inserted upstream and QoS will not help.

if you do not hear static in the audio file then very likely it is QoS
related.  wireshark will generate throughput and RTP analysis to look
for jitter and out of order packets. if you see those, then you do
indeed need QoS.

QoS for voice is a very long topic, I recommend starting at
http://www.cisco.com/go/srnd

Regards,
Wes