[cisco-voip] End of the PBX

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Tue Feb 17 12:54:48 EST 2009

The irony here I’ve ran CallManger under Windows for years.  Never had it go down except for having to apply Cisco upgrades every couple weeks (remember CallManager 3x, 4x you had a bug fix every 4 weeks).  When CallManager did go down another server took over and it was mostly transparent to end users. I went thru Welchia/Nachia and all the other worms and never had an outage, I monitored security bulletins from Symantec and ISS and applied security updates from vendors regardless of platforms (Unix, Linux, Windows, OS X).

You can get hardware that is everything hot swappable like the IBM x440/SAN and run non-stop Windows, Linux, Unix or VMWare ESX, etc.

I’m used to see more application issues (memory leaks, reboots in 248 days) then Windows or Linux core OS itself going down once and a while!

Going back to the original question, will CTOs choose to pay more to have Cisco over Microsoft or will they force a move to OCS as it would reduce their IT budget ? I can see it happening in smaller shop first that couldn’t afford SmartNet or CallManager to start with.  This is like when Nortel was Legacy and Cisco could save you money with this open-platform Selsius Communications Box…