[cisco-voip] Fax and Modem Parameters ?

Dane dane at pktloss.net
Wed Feb 18 09:27:51 EST 2009

I have been getting reports of faxing issues since we moved to some
new circuits.  Faxes are connected to VG248s, new circuits are
connected to WS-SVC-CMM-6T1 and old circuits were connected to same
6509 but the port was on a 6608.

I noticed that on the 6608 ports you have the section for "Fax and
Modem Parameters" however on the CMM-6T1 the ports don't have anything
related to faxing in there.

On the CMM-6T1 module config there is one item related to Fax mode
that can be either Fax Passthrough or Fax Relay.  Currently Fax
Passthrough is selected.

The fax machines are giving an error "poor line condition" or "busy no
response", however there is really no consistency in the user reported
errors.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Different numbers
being called, different fax machines reporting the issues.  I do know
that this was not an issue prior to moving the circuits, so my guess
is its the new circuits or simply related to the fact I am using these
CMM-6T1's now as opposed to the 6608.

I read about making sure the ECM was off on the fax machines and that
speed was set to 9600.

Other than that anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on troubleshooting this?

Thanks